Giving Back to a Cause in our Community
Conversation with Lori Buzzetti, Executive Director & Founder, So Big
Since the conception of Nested Spaces, my team and I knew it’s philanthropy would focus on helping women in need in our local community of Indianapolis. As we prayed about what this would and could mean for the business, we made a place holder for it on our site, titled Chair of Grace. For us at Nested Spaces, grace is like a chair, in that it gives us the support and structure to hold us up and keep us on track. Nested Spaces wants to be that for thecommunity. This spring, we had a divine meeting with Lori Buzzetti. Lori is an OBGYN formerly employed by St. Vincent Womens Hospital. In 2012, she felt a call to begin So Big and then left practice two years ago to focus on the mission of the organization. Through connecting with Lori, Nested Spaces feels called to give back to So Big.
Lori, Tell us about your newest adventure from being an OBGYN to becoming the director of a non-profit.
So Big was founded in 2012. We are a non-profit organization whose mission is to offer hope to expectant women. We are in the process of creating a place where we will wrap our arms around the challenges of an unexpected pregnancy. As we step out to serve these women, our three primary goals will be:
- Support the health of the pregnant mother by connecting her with food, shelter, and prenatal care.
- Encourage education and self sufficiency in the job market.
- Provide life skills courses training opportunities.
- Make referrals to community agencies and state programs for further assistance when needed.
Where and how will this vision unfold?
So Big envisions a maternity home for expectant women and their children here in Indianapolis. It will be called the Mountain House. It will be a place of love where mother and child can thrive, where families are strengthened, and where God’s love is allowed to transform lives. Slated to open in late 2016, we are currently working on zoning and licensing for a location in Northwest Indianapolis.
How can the community help So Big thrive?
We are currently beginning our capital campaign to raise funds to run the maternity home. All donations will go towards the women that we will be serving. You can give online through our website or mail in a check to So Big, PO BOX 68173, Indianapolis, IN 46268.
We are also accepting new or gently used items of the following:
- Office furniture (desks, chairs, tables, bookshelves)
- Home accessories (lamps, artwork, clocks, decorations, rugs )
- Towels, washcloths, hand towels
- Sheets, pillow cases
- Electronics (laptops, printers, stereos)
- Small appliances (coffee maker, vacuum)
- Kitchen supplies (silverware, plates, cups, pots, pans)
- Maternity clothes
- Baby clothes
- Baby items
- Gift cards for groceries, household items and more.
Also, if you have items to donate, please contact us at 317-426-1747 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lori, anything else?
We at So Big know that prayer matters in a big way. We would be grateful for your prayers as we prepare to serve these women and children. To find out more about us, visit our website, http://sobig.org.
Thanks Lori for sharing your story!